Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Reading Comprehension

The act of understanding what you have just read.

This is a skill learned after phonics (a method of teaching people to read by correlating sounds with letters or groups of letters in an alphabetic writing system)--after one learns to read (phonics) they learn how to understand the words put together (comprehension). This skill is taught early in life: anywhere from four years old to 9 years old--and is a continuing process because new words and conjunctions are put together every day. Here is a decent website that I have found on reading comprehension: http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/understanding-reading-comprehension

To me, reading comprehension is important. One needs to be able to put the words together that they have read, understand their individual meanings and be able to construct what they all mean when put together. This is a very difficult process to teach and depending on the person: a very difficult thing to learn.

This brings me to the way that I speak and write. I do not use "words under the lines", I speak and write straightforward, which is difficult because everyone's perception is different. Even though what I speak or write has one specific meaning (to me) it could mean several different things to another person. That basic understanding of perception makes communication in both written and spoken word very difficult for me, because I generally like to use "big words" like "comprehension" or "conjunction" or "correlation" --to most people those are not big words but then you have a select few who cannot go further than "understand" or "union" or "link", even though they are synonymous: no one likes to use a thesaurus.

I do appreciate anyone and everyone who reads my blog. I write just in case my son wants a better understanding of what happened and what I went through...and the bonus is that other people get to read as well and garner insights so that they have a better understanding of how a TBI affects a person (specifically me, because TBIs affect everyone differently--please don't put what I am going through or doing or knowing on anyone you may know who has a TBI or yourself. When I write, I try and refrain from using harsh language, which had been brought to my attention a year or two ago--harsh language helps no one and makes a person (in my opinion) seem less educated when there is a plethora of words to use in the English language. If anyone has read from the beginning, you should notice a difference in my writing style, especially the words that I use. As I recover, I am getting back what I had learned early in life with regards to reading, writing, spelling, etc.

I do apologize if this blog entry seems pretentious and rude. This entry is specifically in reaction to comments that were attempted because of perceived insult. If you (general "you", by the way: no one specific) are having difficulty reading my blog or somehow become offended, I insist that you look into using a thesaurus and honing your reading comprehension skills. Otherwise, comment for clarification, specify how and where, so that I can edit the entry in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment