Monday, December 31, 2012

My Spelling and Other Brain Related Problems

I've noticed that as I read through my posts, my spelling is sometimes not right or I use the wrong words or my sentences are just confusing. It's kind of understandable because of my brain injury but then some of it is because my laptop decides that some letters don't need to be included in some words. At least the spelling, thinking, word usage, etc. aren't as terrible now as they were a couple of months ago. My recovery is happening rather quickly, compared to other TBI victims. For me, the recovery is slow, but I've always been a fast-thinking/acting/moving person--but I guess for how bad the injury initially was, I've recovered much faster than others would have. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I am very self aware. I know what my limitations currently are, what I've been able to overcome and what I need to work on. I suppose it's a good thing because I know what I've accomplished and can be proud of myself, then I also know what I have left to overcome and can focus on those aspects. Then, it's a bad thing because I know what my limitations are and I know exactly when they affect what I do, say and think...so I get annoyed at myself because it's hard to get over those hurdles.

One thing that I noticed was that I am a very bad patient, as I had been forgetting to take my Amantadine for about a month. It was about all of November and part of December--I'm not sure exactly how long I've been off of Amantadine. I started taking it again about last week and need to go pick up the refill tomorrow or the next day because I am officially out of it here at home. I really don't know what the difference in my thinking/cognitive functions are on or off of Amantadine. I can't tell any difference, to be quite honest. But, I know that I need to talk with my PM&R doctor when I see her in a couple of days to see what she thinks. I think that part of the reason I stopped taking it was because the Boy came home. Another reason is that picking up refills is a lot of work because we have no vehicle, it's cold and snowing and I would have to bundle myself and the Boy up to go walking to the pharmacy. Those excuses still don't make it okay that I've been off of my medication.

I suppose that I can really evaluate how Amantadine affects my cognitive functions and memory after I start taking it regularly again. It will also be much easier after I speak with my PM&R doctor. Here's hoping/praying that my brain heals well and fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment