Tuesday, October 30, 2012

This County

The one I currently live in and the one that the accident occured in, by the way. I wanted you all to know that this county is Okay with you if you drive "negligently" down their city streets. So, if you feel the need to speed (such as going 65MPH on any given city street--residential or commercial--just like the guy who hit me), you will get off very leniently. This county "does not usually prosecute negligent cases". Had the guy (or you) been intoxicated, or high, or impaired then they would be all over that like white on rice.

However, negligence is not good enough to prosecute; because, seriously, who cares that you were driving 65MPH on a residential street, hit someone and almost killed them, even though you were completely sober and in the right state of mind?

This county basically (in not so many words, because I am paraphrasing) told me that anyone and everyone is welcome to break the speed law and almost kill someone as long as they are sober.

What are the consequences you might ask? Well!

  1. Short jail time--before trial (if there is one) and it's much shorter if you post bond (which I can tell you is not that expensive).
  2. A low fine and probation as your sentence. By "low fine" I'm talking less than $1,000.00 (one thousand dollars).
So! Go ahead, speed through this county (make sure you're sober, though), I encourage you!

Why do I encourage you?

Answer: Maybe the more people that are victimized by "negligence", the more harsh the penalty will be.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I just read through this whole thing and just wanted to tell you how amazing you are, and what great of a mother you are. You have done so much for your son and gotten so much better. I will be praying for you!
    Lots of love and prayers.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete