Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Medication

Today I had an appointment with my psychiatrist. Although I saw a resident first (how else are they supposed to get experience with helping people) and then the attending came in. We discussed my medications, the past ones I've taken and the effects I experienced. Then we talked about what I would feel comfortable doing, along with what my goals are in regards to therapy/psychiatry/psychology.

I'm glad that this psychiatrist was very open, honest and (what is the best way to word it?) vocal or explanatory to me. It was great that she understood I hated the withdrawal from Effexor, that I felt it was too strong of a medication to continue taking and that if I have to be on medication, I would prefer Celexa or Zoloft. I haven't tried Zoloft yet, but if it's similar to Celexa (as she described to me--but not in those exact words) I'm all for it. I don't want to rely on medications if there are other methods to handle my depression and anxiety.

I'm sure that if I took the time to focus on relaxation techniques, de-stressing and seriously gearing my life towards the better and more positive aspects, I shouldn't have to rely on medication. But, I don't think I'm focused enough for that, ha ha. There is too much going on in my life right now to try going the no-medicine route. I know that, so I'm going back to Celexa.

At least when I was on Celexa in 2009-10 the only side effect I experienced was jitters (shaky hands), both while I was on it and then when I stopped it cold-turkey. Which, btw, one is not supposed to stop any kind of antidepressant/anxiety cold turkey and certainly not without supervision.

Shame on me, since I did that cold-turkey thing on all three of my antidepressant/anxiety meds (Celexa, Abilify and Effexor). I didn't experience any withdrawal from Celexa and Abilify. However, with Effexor...Wow, never again. I will never, never, never go back on Effexor. The withdrawal from that, for me, was not as bad as it was for some other's but it definitely was not something you could pay me to re-experience again! Yuck!

I need to look at my future appointments to see when I will be seeing my counselor again. That's where I will be discussing some of the things that have been bothering me--which reminds me, I need to write those things down and put them in my purse. God forbid I forget what I want to talk with her about! I would be so mad at myself, although what I want to discuss isn't all that important, curiosity really is something difficult to go on with (if that makes sense).

Bah, anyway, tomorrow I need to go to the library and then pick up my prescriptions. It'll be a full day but I'm sure by the time I go to bed I will feel accomplished.

(The other thing was that I talked with my OT and we discussed driving evaluations! So, hopefully I will be cleared to drive by the end of this year!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment