Monday, September 24, 2012

College, RN?

Earlier this year, before the accident, I had been planning on attending college sometime this fall or even next spring. Unfortunately, as events played out, it was not possible. Last week, however, I started applying for colleges and calling them to varify information. Also, I called my attorney who is working on my SSD application to see if college would affect it's outcome. It's a good thing I'm thinking to tie up all the loose ends that I think of as the days go on. I'm glad I called to double check with my attorney.

My attorney said that college would affect my SSD application. That application/program/thing is for people who cannot work and college negates the "not able to work" reason. I have to wait until this case pans out, otherwise I will have to pay for the work that he's done out of my own empty pockets. Instead of continuing the application process for college, I'm going to focus on getting better and getting my son back. I need to write out a few things that need to get done so that I don't forget about them, for the most part I'm pretty set on my goals.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to major in, what I wanted to earn a degree in/as. In fact, I didn't set a determined field until last month. I was waffling between registered nurse, childcare and counselor. When I was younger, I wanted to be a teacher or a veterinarian but have changed my mind considerably on that end. I don't have the patience for a large group of other people's children and although I love animals, I don't have an interest in caring for them in that aspect. When it comes to counselor, I have found that the whole process of earning that degree is significantly more difficult than nursing. Also, counselors and psychotherapists do not get paid much.

I decided on registered nursing, but I've never been to college so I had no idea where to start this whole process. I asked some friends and they gave me some awesomely helpful but basic information. Then I called the colleges I was planning on attending and was able to come up with a process to achieve my goal. Now, I have to wait for the SSD case to settle out, but I know I'm prepared. I know that my credits from the college I will be attending first will transfer to the main university I plan to attend, so I am excited about that. I don't think that I will need to transfer those credits if I get licsensed as an RN first then go to the main university to acquire the RN to MSN degree I want/need. That will be a bridge I'll need to cross later, after becoming a liscensed RN.

I'm still waiting for a lot of things to finish up or pan out, hopefully it will all happen quickly and I'll be able to finish up the things that I wanted to start/do earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment