Friday, August 10, 2012

Goals

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my PM&R doctor and we discussed a lot of things, my recovery, my goals, what I should do and expect. I'm glad that she is patient, she deals with many TBI patients but I guess it's refreshing to me, not feeling rushed through my answers or sentences.

I feel like I want to ease my way back into work but I'm not sure how good of an idea or experience that will be. I think for the most part I can work one day a week for a maximum of four hours, which is nothing to an employer, so I probably won't be able to experiment. I wish that I could start driving again but I know that's not going to happen anytime soon. My doctor said that when I feel ready to start driving, she will support me but she won't pressure me to do something I'm not comfortable with. The one thing about driving that I'm scared of is my reaction time, right now my cognitive and perceptive functions aren't where they were pre-accident. I am getting better as the days go on and I suppose there won't be any real significant change until one year from my accident. I just don't feel comfortable getting behind a wheel and doing something on accident like not noticing pedestrians, switching lanes, merging, speed, stop signs, lights, etc. I guess that because I can't even take care of Pumpkin full time yet, it really is a far stretch to think about starting work again.

I just want things to be normal again. I don't like the anxiety that I get when things don't go like they should.

No comments:

Post a Comment